Sunday, May 15, 2011

BP4_Google Art Project

The Web 2.0 tool I am reviewing today is the Google Art Project at http://www.googleartproject.com. I actually found the source through the TedTalk gadget on my iGoogle FSO page. The creator, Amid Sood, grew up in India and was frustrated with the lack of access to the greatest museums. He asked for permission to work with some of the world's most famous art museums and seventeen agreed to place their work of art in the project. If you are interested in more of the background, click on the caption for the screenshot of Amid below.


Amid Sood, creator of Google Art Project, speaking at TedTalks.

The site has two features. The first, you can virtually walk around each of the museum galleries seeing different pieces of art and get the sense of ambiance of the museum.

National Gallery in London, England
In the screenshot above you can see the movement arrows to move throughout the museum and the arrow pad in the upper left hand corner, you can see the tools to direct your sight. I find that the controls are difficult to move at first, similar to SecondLife, but once you work with them, they are adequate. I just have to keep reminding myself that I am going through a 3-D world on a 2-D screen:/. Beside the pictures the museum has allowed to be used is a white square that you click on to the painting and background information.

An easier way to see the works of art is by clicking the Artwork button and the art is listed alphabetically withing each museum listing. This is the greatest feature of the project. As an English teacher, I may place a piece of art on my smartboard such as Four Elements: Fire by Joachim Beuckelaer.

Four Elements: Fire by Joachim Beuckelaer as seen in Google ArtProject.

I would ask the students to write a description essay or a story based on the picture. Students today do not do very well with details and I would emphasize the point to include as many details about the picture they can into their story. I would then use the zoom feature of the site and go into the room just above the woman's left shoulder and ask how many students saw the events taking place there.






The piece of art is actually depicting the scene from the Bible when Jesus visited Mary and Martha's house. This Web 2.0 tool will allow me to emphasize to my students the importance of details in writing by viewing various pieces of art. This is not necessarily a tool I could use everyday, but is definitely a tool to use to teach certain objectives. As you visit the Google Art Project on your own, take to realize all the details you can see that you normally wouldn't even if you visited each of the museums in person.

2 comments:

  1. Glenn,
    Awesome job in stumbling across this new tool. I think it is important for learners to be able to explore art and understand how different historical events influences many artist. Now with a click of the mouse everyone who has access to the internet can browse and learn about great art around the world. This tool can inspire learners of all regions of the world to use this wonderful form of expression called ART.
    Great blog.
    Derek

    ReplyDelete
  2. As an art teacher in a rural area I really like the idea of being able to go to the different museums without leaving the school. I am always looking for ways to expose my students to different artwork and this is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete