Saturday, May 14, 2011

PE1_iMovie

Being an English teacher, I was looking forward to pursuing my master's degree without fear and trepidation. Why? I knew I could write papers without a problem. Therefore, this course has thrown me out of my comfort zone by requiring so many videos. iMovie has been a great help to ease the transition. I am going to post in rapid fire today about iMovie, and this isn't the best way to blog so I apologize in advance.

One of coolest this of interest to me I learned in the iMovie training was the capability to use old HD tape so I don't have to "pitch" my old collection. I had my National Board Videos on "tape" along with children's dance recitals and ballgames. I am so thankful that I have it easier than my parents' generation when they had to transfer the old movie reels to VHS and not just let my tapes gather dust.

Screenshot from lynda.com iMovie tutorial uploading videotape.




Another thing that this video showed was the changing landscape of technology. Those that have been alive longer than 30 years remember the old Beta tapes and the two piece recording systems that were very cumbersome. The HD cameras that is seen the video is no more than 10 years old, manufactured since 2000, and is considered antiquated. We have to continue to change with technology in order to remain relevant to our students' lives. Tools such as iMovie make it easier to accomplish that in our classrooms and lives.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree! These days our students come with a plethora of knowledge about various multimedia devices. I even had some a year ago teach me about PhotoShop. We can't expect them to live in a traditional classroom world and not attempt to incorporate the world they know into it. The state of technology in education is ever changing and some can adapt and others fall way behind the learning curve.

    My video production module students use iMovie for video editing and it is so user friendly. All they have to do is follow the step by stop guidebook and viola! a great product. The ancient thing is though that even though they used iMovie to create the finished product, it asks them to transfer it to a VHS tape! These digital natives have no clue what VHS is when they have iPods, iPads, DVDs, and gaming devices used to watch videos. Of course I tweaked that! The camera I see in the video is very similar to the MiniDV camera I have had in my room since 2007. I now have a Sony MiniDV camera and I love it. The kids use the flip camera and it works just as good for simple video projects like they do. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete